MailChimp Alternatives for Email Marketing
Email marketing is possibly the oldest form of marketing on the Internet. And yet, as boring as email is, it has come a long way in just a few years. MailChimp has always been at the forefront of making email sexy again. Through it’s creative branding campaigns, it has become near ubiquitous among email marketers from the small non-profit to global publishers.
But what if you want an alternative to MailChimp? Just because MailChimp is the name-brand does not mean it’s the right fit for your business. The email marketing software is the one that makes sense to you & your budget – and then helps you get back to running your business.
I’ve been able to work with a lot of small businesses over the course of my career. I’ve also been able to come in contact with & try lots of different software. I thought it’d be useful to document some of the email marketing software that I’ve checked out or have seen my clients use to help readers at least find a starting point when searching for a MailChimp alternative.
Here’s a brief summary along with an extended explanation below.
Summary of Best MailChimp Alternatives
|Name||Best if you want…||Visit!|
|Aweber||…an established, trusted provider among marketers.||Visit!|
|Constant Contact||…name-brand with tons of resources and integrations.||Visit!|
|GetResponse||…focus on usability and bundled features (ie, webinars, etc).||Visit!|
|Emma||…fast-growing full featured web-based competitor.||Visit!|
Disclosure – I receive customer referral fees from companies listed on this website. All data & opinion is based on my professional experience as a customer or consultant to a customer.
Guide to MailChimp Alternatives
Here’s an extended guide to each, along with other MailChimp alternatives for specific use cases.
MailChimp’s most direct competitor. They have an old-school interface & feel. But they are very popular among marketers and small businesses.
The big brand in the email industry. They’ve been around for years. They have tons of resources, and the backing of one of the biggest tech companies in the world.
One of the oldest brands in the industry. They focus on usability and providing a full marketing suite with email, webinars and landing pages all bundled.
A fast-growing direct competitor to MailChimp.
Other MailChimp Alternatives
There are, of course, tons of other alternatives including options that either have a specific use case, I haven’t used enough to fully judge or don’t quite have features/benefits that the alternatives listed above already cover.
There is also an entire world of marketing automation apps that I don’t include. The email providers mentioned all do some automation, but not all automation companies focus on email.
That said, I’ve had readers looking to compile a list for internal evaluation. Here’s the list that I usually provide.
- MadMimi – They focus on *only* email – and making it as simple as possible for small businesses & websites. They are owned by GoDaddy.
- MailPoet – Another rapidly growing email-only simple provider. They focus on websites using WordPress.
- TinyLetter – They are owned by MailChimp. It’s MailChimp’s super-simple, newsletter-only service.
- InfusionSoft – Very expensive, but highly customizable service for marketers.
- ConvertKit – Expensive but customized for professional bloggers and information marketers.
- iContact – A well-established brand.
- Campaign Monitor – A well-established brand.
- Vertical Response – A well-established brand.
- SendGrid – Traditionally an infrastructure provider for bulk email, now they offer email marketing services directly.
I’ve written a lot about business & marketing – and have been able to consult with a variety of clients from small shops to household brands. Here’s related resources that I’ve written.
- MailChimp Review w/ Pros & Cons
- Best Email Hosting (ie, internal email) Guide w/ Quiz
- Best MailChimp Email Templates w/ Best Practices
All the best on your project!