HideMyAss Alternatives for VPN & Proxy Services
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) and proxy services have come a long ways in the past few years. They used to be a technology business backwater – only for streaming movies or anyone overly (ie, correctly) concerned about security & privacy. But in the past several years, VPNs have become near essential for any business owner that does any business away from the office (even the local coffee shop). And as the name-brand – HideMyAss has been around since the gaming / movie days (hence the name), but also has a decent service .
But what if you want an alternative to HideMyAss? Just because HideMyAss is an established name-brand does not mean it’s the right fit for your use. The best VPN / proxy service is the one that makes sense to you & your budget – and then helps you get back to running your business…or browsing privately or simply using the Internet how you wish (looking at you Malaysian government blocking my Medium habit).
I’ve been able to work with a lot of small businesses over the course of my career. I’ve also been able to come in contact with & try lots of different software. I thought it’d be useful to document some of the VPNs & proxy services that my team has used or evaluated.
Here’s a brief summary along with an extended explanation below.
Summary of Best HideMyAss Alternatives
|Name||Best if you want…||Visit!|
|ExpressVPN||…high-performance, compatibility & 24×7 support.||Visit!|
|NordVPN||…balance between price, performance & support.||Visit!|
|PureVPN||…a large range of connected countries.||Visit!|
|IP Vanish||…a total focus on security w/ no 3rd party servers.||Visit!|
Disclosure – I receive customer referral fees from companies listed on this website. All data & opinion is based on my professional experience as a customer or consultant to a customer.
Guide to HideMyAss Alternatives
Here’s an extended guide to each, along with other HideMyAss alternatives for specific use cases.
ExpressVPN is one of the other established name-brand VPNs. They are a bit pricier than others, but provide a excellent all-around experience including faster than average connection speeds. I wrote an in-depth review of ExpressVPN here.
NordVPN offers more affordable plans without sacrificing 24×7 support or performance compared to other VPNs. I wrote an in-depth review of NordVPN here.
PureVPN focuses on offering a broad range of country connections with up to 141+ countries available. They are also one of the few with reliable connections on Mainland China (where a VPN is a no-brainer basic security practice). I wrote an in-depth review of PureVPN here.
IP Vanish focuses on absolute encryption & security. They do not contract with 3rd party services, but maintain their own network. That practice also pays dividends with solid performance.
Other HideMyAss Alternatives
There are, of course, tons of other alternatives including options that either have a specific use case, I haven’t used enough to fully judge or don’t quite have features/benefits that the alternatives listed above already cover.
That said, I’ve had readers looking to compile a list for internal evaluation. Here’s the list that I usually provide.
- SaferVPN – fast and simple to use with a free trial period. Visit SaferVPN here.
- Opera – a free browser with a free, built-in VPN. Good for private browsing (though movie sites have blocked its IPs). Visit Opera here.
- VyprVPN – huge range of dedicated IP addresses. Known for good performance. Visit VyperVPN here.
- HotSpot VPN – offers free plans and strives for good cross-device compatibility. Visit HotSpot VPN here.
- Buffered VPN – colorful and user-friendly with good performance and features. Visit Buffered VPN here.
- TunnelBear – best-known free VPN with a full-featured free plan up to a specific data cap. Good for one-off connections. Visit TunnelBear here.
Here are some related resources about virtual private networks. It can be a daunting topic – but increasingly critical for anyone who works online.
- Wikipedia on VPNs – basic guide on how VPNs work.
- ShivarWeb VPN reviews – all my VPN reviews & comparisons.
- Detailed VPN Chart – a massive, sortable spreadsheet with all sorts of tracked features for finding specific use cases.
All the best on your project!