Find a domain name you want to acquire through my favorite registrar, Namecheap.
Search results for
Enter a possible name without an extension (ie .com) to search multiple TLDs.
- Short and Sweet – Avoid AVeryLongNameThatNoOneCanRemember.com
- Avoid Hyphens and Underscores – Don’t buy domains with hyphens or underscores for your main address. However, I do recommend buying these in addition to your non-hyphenated version so no one else steals your traffic.
- Go for the .com Extension if possible – There are many other extensions (such as .co, .net, .info, etc.). Avoid them like the plague if possible for your domain, since they may confuse inexperienced internet users.
- No Spaces Allowed – You can’t have a space.
- Easy to Spell – Is that with one “L” or two? People are horrible spellers; make sure your it’s simple to spell.
- Easy to Remember – The domain should be catchy and something that others will remember.
- Can the Domain Mean Something Else? – Therapistinabox.com (Therapist In A Box) isn’t a good name.
The classic bad marketing story involves the Chevy Nova automobile. The rumor goes General Motors introduced the popular U.S. vehicle in Mexico but couldn’t understand why the sales were so bad.
They didn’t realize that “no va” in Spanish means “no go”!
Don’t be like GM and buy one that can have alternative meanings.
Here’s a list of domains you do NOT want to emulate.
- Itscrap.com – IT Scrap
- Whorepresents.com – Who Represents
- Penisland.net – Pen Island
- Expertsexchange.com – Experts Exchange
- Speedofart.com – Speed Of Art
- Nobjs.org – North Of Boston Jewish Singles
- Gotahoenorth.com – Go Tahoe North
- Lesbocages.com – Les Bocages
- Americanscrapmetal.com – American Scrap Metal
- Masterbaitonline.com – Master Bait Online
- Therapistinabox.com – Therapist In a Box
- Teacherstalking.org – Teachers Talking
- Childrenswear.co.uk – Children’s Wear
Get your mind out of the gutter if you think these stood for other names. This is why you must be careful in your selection.