This is part of the Beginner’s Guide To WordPress Series. We’ll cover how to keep WordPress updated trouble-free.
WordPress – like all software – needs to be updated regularly to keep it secure, to add new features, and generally keep it humming along correctly. The good news is that WordPress lets you know automatically when you need to update.
The bad news is that you still need to do it. Here’s how to update WordPress & plugins without trouble.
How To Update WordPress
Here’s a quick summary of the video:
1. Always backup your database and content before updating plugins, themes, or WordPress. You can backup your installation with a plugin like WordPress Move or a premium plugin like SnapShot fromWPMUdev
2. To update anything in WordPress, navigate to the Dashboard, then to Updates.
3. There is a “right” order to update. Always update your Plugins first, then Themes, then WordPress.
Here are a few notes to keep in mind:
- You can also update WordPress manually via FTP
- If you ever have trouble updating a plugin – do not proceed on to Themes and WordPress. Resolve the plugin issue before moving on.
- Wait a week or so after you see the notification to actually update your version of WordPress. This will allow any weird bugs or kinks to be noticed or worked out.
- If you aren’t using a common plugin – you can check it’s compatibility with new versions of WordPress by searching for it on the WordPress plugin directory.
Having to deal with updates might seem overwhelming – but there really isn’t need to worry. They are actually a good thing! They’ll keep your site running smoothly and safely. Just remember to keep your files backed up, and you’ll be fine.
Don’t forget to finish out this series!
- How To Use The WordPress Dashboard + Initial Settings
- How To Use WordPress Posts + Pages
- Introduction To Categories And Tags
- How To Use The WordPress Visual Editor
- How To Work With The WordPress Media Library
- How To Work With Images in WordPress
- Troubleshooting Image Placement In WordPress Visual Editor
- How To Work With Menus In WordPress
- How To Work With Widgets In WordPress
- Introduction To WordPress Themes
- Introduction To WordPress Plugins
- How To Keep WordPress Updated Trouble-free
- Choosing & Installing Essential WordPress Plugins