For many people, Blogger is the first blogging/website tool they ever use.
And for good reason – it’s free (with free hosting), and it’s super-easy to use.
However – it also has a lot of limitations, so anyone who’s serious about blogging and/or building a bit of a business – moves on.
And hopefully, moves on to a self-hosted website powered by WordPress.
Here’s how to transfer all your Blogger blog posts and categories over to WordPress (and, if you’ve been at it for a while, maintain your SEO for Google).
Edit 5/24/2013: Feel free to check out the instructions below, but you might want to check out the Blogger to WordPress Redirection plugin here. It does it all, and is pretty good to work with.
Importing Your Blog Posts From Blogger
1. Set up WordPress, and login to your Dashboard
2. Go to Tools –> Import –> Blogger –> Install Now
3. Then, authorize WordPress, import your posts, approve your author changeover
4. You’re done! Don’t forget to go to Plugins –> Installed Plugins –> Deactivate, then Delete Blogger Importer
Keeping Your SEO When Transferring From Blogger
If you haven’t been blogging for a while – then you can skip this step.
However, if you have been blogging for a while – and have posts showing up in Google search results – this section is vital.
Filezilla (click to go to download page) – to upload your Blogger php file to your WordPress hosting account.
Your Blogger page template (right-click here, save as to download it) – download, then upload with FileZilla, then create Blogger page in your WordPress website.
Redirect template for Blogger – copy and paste to replace the code below to your Blogger template…
Points to Remember:
- Don’t delete your Blogger account. Your pictures are still being served off Blogger’s servers. If you want to download and upload the images to WordPress Media Library, you can. Otherwise, they will all just get served off Blogger
- Don’t forget to verify your domain in Google Webmaster Tools
That’s how to import Blogger to WordPress – if you have any questions or comments – let me know below!